Saturday, March 20, 2010

"We just scarfed at 5am in a gas station in Argentina"

"but somehow that sentence only sounds cool with those last two words" said Sarah as we spooned in my twin bed after a night of drinking games with my host brothers, sisters and friends, intense dancing in a boliche, and eating salami sandwiches at a 24 gas station across the street from my house. I have stayed out until at least 5am every night since Wednesday and I am going out again tonight! I'm surprised I am awake right now, but I guess I've just been sleeping in every day as well. Wednesday night we celebrated St. Patty's day in a boliche (because practically the only irish pub in Cordoba was CLOSED on st. patty's day!?!? whhaatt?). Thursday Anna, Sarah and I went to a really cool cultural house to see a brazilian band play (whose music was great!!) and afterwards we ended up talking to the band and going back to their hostel with them. There, by complete coincidence we saw another girl from our program with her boyfriend who was also staying at the hostel! We had a jam sesh in the hostel, drank beer and smoked on the roof, and then I played pool with some guys from Buenos Aires. That was probably my most favorite night here so far. Friday night (last night) Pia (my host sister) organized an outing to a boliche in a different barrio called . We played drinking games in el Quincho (asado room) to "hacer la previa" or "pre-game." The boliche was HUGE with an outdoor patio which was amazing to have because usually you're dying of heat in the boliches downtown. Tonight I'm seeing the brazilian band play again in a club I really like.

This week was also my first week of classes. My PECLA classes have started (these classes are designed for foreign students so for instance their is a girl from amsterdam, a girl from canada and a guy from Japan in my spanish class...pretty cool) but my university classes have not started yet (those which I will take with other Argentinians) because every department starts at a different time. I am not completely certain what classes I'll be taking but I am pretty sure I will take a painting class and an art history class. I also signed up for yoga classes at the university which i regret a little because I don't really like the class after my first one thursday night. I miss warrior yoga in santa cruz! but I'm signed up and paid so I might as well...plus there is a very attractive man in the class which could make it worth while...crossing my fingers he doesnt have a girlfriend. I swear EVERY guapo has a freakin girlfriend! Its like the thing to do here. Pair off. But whatever I'm over it I like being single.

I actually don't have much to say right now. Actually, I have a lot to say but I really don't feel like being on my computer. But I WILL just say that I fall more and more in love with this place each day. Things about the culture that may have bothered me at first no longer do and now I look past these and I find beauty in this place that one can only find when they are immersed. I will say more later, now I'm off to a feria to look for a mate cup! Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. oh I have to add that Sarah tried to explain "big spoon and little spoon" to someone in spanish last night...they were so confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you taking an art history class?!

    Also, I'm really excited that you're having the crazy-fun-randomness filled abroad experience that you should. You are collecting stories for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete