Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hopefully just some extra protein?

Today I bought a bag of nuts from a kiosk and they were just in a clear plastic bag, no brand name or commercially sealed packaging. I was just now eating them...not really examining them too closely, when I looked down at the bag and noticed something moving amongst the pieces. There was probably about 5 or 6 LARVA squirming about having a jolly ol' time. I immediately spit out what I was chewing and I'm considering force vomiting. I don't really know if I should be worried I don't know anything about this kind of stuff....could this turn into a parasitic problem in my stomach if I consumed some of these little creatures? I am feeling a bit nauseous but I think its just in my head....
If anyone has any idea please tell me!

This brings me to the topic of food here. I have to say I think I am getting a bit of an Argentine belly. My diet is probably the hardest thing I have had to adjust to here. That and the environmental issues (but I'll save that for another blog). Argentinians eat so much BREAD! it is incredible! They seem to love their bread, mayonaise, salt and oil. And of course not everybody is the same I have just been noticing these 4 condiments a lot. Because I am living with a family my diet is obviously very controlled by what they eat and this is a bit difficult for me because I am so used to cooking my own food with tons of vegetables and having an abundant fruit supply. Right now I am buying my own fruit to snack on but in terms of cooking vegetables, I really can't because I have to maintain a level of respect as well. But I do not want to complain either because mi padre, Juan, is an excellent cook and we have had some delicious meals here. Its just that vegetables are a rarity. And this goes without mentioning the fact that it is impossible to find anything organic. I do not think I've even seen the word anywhere, besides when I was living on the farm. Out in the countryside, I least where I was and who I was meeting, I felt people were a lot more aware. But in the city many people have not even heard of the concept. Mi madre asked me what the difference was between organic and not organic. AND the other day I found out they still use Agent Orange here!

I feel like I am complaining too much. Let me talk about the good food I've had as well. In my house there is a room called La Quita and there is a huge table (because there is always at LEAST 9 people eating if we do not have company) and an open flame in-the-wall fire pit where Juan has concocted some DELICIOUS dishes. Asado here is a term used to describe what we call a BBQ. But asado is so much better than our version. The meat is amaaazing, rich with flavor and juices. Usually beef and chorizo (sausages...delicious sausages) are served with various side dishes like salad, potatoes, bread (of course), and even grilled vegetables sometimes! Another popular dish here is called a tarta and is very similar to quiesh (spelling?). There is a large Italian influence here (like my family) and so the pizza and helado are pretty darn tasty as well. The other night Juan made a dish that I think is my favorite so far... I think it is called Pollo el Dicho and it its very similar to the Spanish paella but it just has chicken in it and a different flavor. Similar in that it is a rice stew of sorts. Juan cooked it slowly over the open flame...AMAZING.

I've also noticed that Argentinians never eat on the go and I haven't really seen many people "snacking". When they eat they sit down and eat. It is a meal and only that. They aren't frantically chugging a latte and scarfing a bagel as they scramble on the bus to get to work. That is something very different compared to the US and it is something I can definitely learn from. I have a major snacking problem and when I am home in CA I feel like I am always eating my breakfast as I walk out the door. If you eat on the go here you definitely get some stares. Maybe my incident with the nuts today was a lesson in disguise....


2 comments:

  1. Olivia, you seem to be keeping such a positive attitude! We are really lucky here in California to have so much access to organic food. I love my Santa Cruz Local, and the farmers' markets. Even across our own country people don't "get" what we take for granted.
    I remember lots of bread, croissants and coffee in Spain. And cheese. It's a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear about some of your experiences and emotional shifts while you were abroad Karen!

    ReplyDelete