Friday, February 19, 2010

La Vida Nueva

It is amazing how frequently my mood and emotions change here. I feel menopausal sometimes. There are times I feel so frustrated with my comprehension of the language that I want to just curl up and dissappear. But then there are the other times when my confidence is rekindled by a successful conversation with a native speaker. I am learning that no emotion I feel is permanent. However, I do feel that after one month in this country my spanish has improved, even at my slow pace. I also find myself enjoying the city life more and more. It was a difficult adjustment for me but I love learning the character of this place. Every morning I take the bus to my spanish class and whereas before my eyes were hazed by the pollution, humidity and mass of people I now am beginning to see the beauty and culture of this city wink at me from every corner. From the colonial architecture that hints of a historical past to the tranquil life people lead as they pass around una copa de mate.

Last night I attended a tango class with Pia (my sister) and some friends from my program. SO FUN! I want to go every week! The class was very basic, but it left me wanting more! Especially afterwards when we were able to watch the pros dance around the floor. Tango is so beautiful and sensual I love it. The bar we were at had two floors: the top was for the classes and the dance floor where the locals show off their moves. The first floor was the resto bar with live music! Last night a pianist played. We also met two German girls and a guy from Belgian who are also studying espanol in the city. I might take a mini trip with them this weekend to a pueblo outside of Cordoba with my friend Sarah from CC-CS (my program).

ALSO another food I tried last night that mi madre prepared: lengua de cerdo...literally pig's tongue. SO GOOD! Served with a tomato sauce and potatoes. It has a rich flavor and a very smooth texture. delicious. That reminds me of another food that I am in love with is chorizo de sangre...sausage made from blood. Such an amazing flavor. I LOVE trying new food!

Today we (my program) went on an excursion to visit 2 Jesuit estancias (basically a farm that was connected with the Jesuit church) around Cordoba city. Earlier this week we visited the Manzana de Jesuitica (Jesuit block) within the city where the old university is located. The trip to the estancias was very nice and the artifacts in the rooms were so interesting to me, but we sped through it too fast! I wanted to look around more! I don't know why we were so rushed. I would like to visit more of these estancias some other weekend. They are so interesting to me. Afterwards we ate at a very good restaurant and right now I am stuffed with carne! Time for a ciesta....





One of the estancias (photos were not allowed at the second one we visited)...and I didn't really understand the palm trees....

1 comment:

  1. we had blood sausage at Gabriella on Jen's birthday!! YUMMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete