Saturday, February 13, 2010

Wwoof!

The farm, El Aguaribay (named after a tree which was sacred to the Inca), was a peculiar experience. The farm itself was only 2 years old and the soil was very dry. Hardly anything was growing and what was was struggling. I can understand this though, the climate is HOT and the soil is not very rich. However, the layout of a farm is another thing. It was pretty comical when Emelio, the manager, told me to "find" the places he had planted zapallos (squash) and water them and place mulching on top. It was like someone was chasing him on his tractor when he had tilled the soil. The rows swirved in and around trees, crossed paths and then mysteriously disappeared into the abyss....then the "holes" where he had planted the zapallos were of no order whatsoever. It was a treasure hunt for me! I couldn't help but laugh to myself. At first I was the only WWOOFER. There was a girl from Buenos Aires but she was not working...I never really understood that situation....but then, luckily, a girl from France (Virginia) arrived so I had a buddy to giggle with at the absurdity of some of the happenings in this peculiar place.


So there was the farm, and as I got to know Emelio better I started to see a mirroring between him and the farm. Scattered. There would be moments were Emelio was relatively friendly like when he brought me a peach while i was feeling like death the first weekend (oh yeah, I got really sick the first few days and spent all my time in a hammock feeling sorry for myself). But then there would be other times were you could tell he just LOVED to laugh at people, in particular, the american (me). For instance one night when I was still sick Eugenia (the girl from Buenos Aires) brought home empanadas for dinner and as I was about to eat one Emelio shouted "NOT FOR YOU!" and then he laughed and said "ha! how do you feel now?" And there would be other times where you would ask him a question and only get a grumble in return. Virginia and I talked about him alot and wondered why he was this way. He DOES live alone and we both think there is a story under it all. We found out both of his parents had died....So I have to be sensitive to that. But he was pretty difficult to be around.
The countryside was beautiful though! I was constantly amazed by the flora and vast amount of insects and birds! During the day the birds whistled a pleasant tune to work to and at night the orchestra of insects was like something electric, experimental. I have never before heard sounds like those. There were firefly-like insects that cast a fluorescent green as they zipped around the farm at night! And the blanket of stars was breathtaking. I was also happily surrounded by 3 dogs, a cat, 2 kittens, and 3 horses. During the day, the clouds never ceased to amaze me. They were constantly changing, casting dramatic shadows across the sierras. Sometimes they would lightly dance with the wind throughout the day and other times they rolled heavy over the hills filled with rain to come. There were probably 3 or 4 lightening storms during the 2 weeks I was there. I felt inspired by the clouds. One hot night while I tossed and turned in my tent, thinking about where I was and how I felt, I wrote this little passage:


Here I am planted in Argentine soil
Now my roots can only grow deeper
While my body grows taller, wiser
Watered by experience and persons
I will grow
To produce sweet fruit to share
An apple, a peach, a lemon
I will bear fruits of many shapes, flavors, colors, textures
And one day when my outstretched branches cannot hold anymore
I will shake myself free
The wind will carry me up into the clouds
Where I can scatter my seeds
And, like a cloud
I will stay true to my complexion
While I allow the wind, seasons and light to paint me

(Soon I would like to rewrite it in spanish)

I know, a little cheesy, but it is good for me to read over in my weaker moments

3 comments:

  1. a) your explanation of your surroundings is incredible. i can hear.see.smell.feel. all of it, and it makes me a little envious of your travels, but a lot excited for you and your adventure
    b) your passage is not cheesy, it's wonderful and insightful, and i hope you keep it up with these blog posts, because...
    c) i love reading them

    i hope you are well, liv!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear from you Kate! Your pictures and passages are amazing! Are you traveling right now? If so where? And if not what are you up to??

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, how i wish i were traveling.
    it's ON THE LIST of things to do...very soon :)
    i'm going to school at stanislaus (i see erin every now and then :) )
    i'm headed towards santa cruz in about a year for grad school. adventures to follow? :)
    how is argentina? i think it's so great that you get to be there!
    sending love

    ReplyDelete